Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Kitchen Update 2

I must say, it’s quite fascinating to watch the progression of this kitchen renovation (even more so since I’m not doing any of the heavy lifting!). But I’ve found that it’s easier to track the changes focusing on one wall at a time, especially for those that have never been in our kitchen.

I’ve always liked progression photography, where one can view events unfolding over time, happening at the same location. A really good example I’ve seen is a series of photos depicting the controlled implosion of the Georgia Medical/Dental building that occurred at least a decade ago (probably longer). They are on display in my dentist’s office. Since I’m a photography enthusiast, it makes those semi-annual check-ups at little easier to endure. I’m a bit of a dentophobe.

Recently on another blog, I’ve been following past and present photos of locations in Vancouver. An archival photo is posted along with a current shot of the same location. Sometimes it’s hard to tell that the two locations are indeed the same. Most of the time, at least one heritage building is present to anchor the scene. What I find interesting is the tree growth over the time period.

A few years ago I bought an old framed photograph of the Lions Gate Bridge in a second-hand store. It’s one of those old black & white’s that was hand coloured. The whole North Shore that is visible in the photo is all trees. The Guinness family built the bridge initially to entice development of its newly acquired land, essentially the British Properties in West Vancouver.

I’ve tried a couple of times to take the same shot as it exists today, but as of yet I’m not satisfied enough with my attempts to display my past and present views of the bridge.

But I will show you one wall of our kitchen, past to current states. The first scene is, of course, anchored by our trusty carpentry spaniel, Shelby.


No comments:

Post a Comment