Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

October scenes




October is very transitional. I remember thinking in early October, "It really seems like the leaves aren't going to fall this year." Of course, it's completely impossible, but nonetheless I have had that thought before. I suppose it would make an interesting novel; "The Year the Seasons Stopped Changing."

This past year could have been the one. We almost didn't have a summer. And when it finally arrived, it was short. I think the late arrival really through the trees for a loop. The leaves seemed to forget to loosen their grips well into late September, and continued into the early throes of October.

Fortunately my wife and I had already planned a summer trip to Winnipeg. It's always hot there in the summer. Vancouver had more of a summer that wasn't. So it wasn't an altogether abstract thought to imagine a year where the leaves remained firmly attached to their branches.

I was thinking recently that I do tend to have abstract thoughts while walking our dog. It's those times when I really try to take in my surroundings. When a new product hits the market I often wonder, "How did anyone come up that?." Sometimes it seems it's just not a product of rational thought. But whoever said you have to be rational all the time? The abstract leads creativity, in my opinion. And I have my dog to thank for accelerating my creative process, especially photographically. Who knows, maybe one day I'll successfully act on an abstract idea.

While not altogether abstract (except maybe the grandfather clock image), these photos are a taste of what I've seen lately, and are an example of what I've thoughtfully processed, in this month of October.


























BTW, the "Keep out" photo was taken at the site of the old Jericho Beach wharf. It's been removed lately because it was deemed unsafe. This view is looking East early on a recent Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment