Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Sunday, July 15, 2012

MG x 2

It was completely by chance that this photo op overtook me. I was driving home from Maple Ridge on Friday when I noticed a pale yellow small vintage English sports car a few car lengths ahead of me in traffic. I'm more of a German car afficionado (VW Beetle, to be specific) so I often can't immediately identify English makes. At first glance I thought this one was an MG, which turned out to be correct.

Before getting in my car to leave the jobsite I almost didn't grab my camera from my tool vest. It's not often recommended to drive and photograph stuff at the same time, but every once and a while I encounter something in my travels that I'm able to capture on film (on electrons?) while en route.

As I drove I noticed another small car up ahead of the same hue as the MG, which was also an MG, but a newer model. Obviously the occupants of the 2 cars were traveling together. Both cars contained driver and passenger, complete with sun hats (it was a rather smokin' hot afternoon by Lower Mainland standards). The older model was RHD while the newer car was LHD. I actually thought the newer one might be a VW kit car; the wheels didn't look quite right somehow. But it didn't have the familiar air-cooled flat-4 engine chortle, nor the twin pea-shooter muffler.

I really wasn't anticipating getting a decent shot of even one of the cars, much less both of them, but as I had to stop at several red lights I ended up with a few unorthodox photo opportunities. I captured 3/4 of the newer LHD car first, ironically as it was being passed by a road race bicycle at that instant. My second opportunity came at a stop light where I was able to sight one car beside me with a view of the other in my side rearview mirror. The next intersection had both cars inline behind me, facilitating another rearview mirror shot.

Finally, a few kilometers ahead, nearing Port Coquitlam, I was able to shoot both cars inline in front of me in the next lane over. Both exactly the same shade of yellow, both vintage MGs.





No comments:

Post a Comment