Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Thursday, September 27, 2012

'57 Agave

OK, I admit it. I can be a bit obsessive sometimes. Especially about cars. And not all cars either. Specific cars, like vintage air-cooled Volkswagens.

Take this evening, for instance. I decided to write a catch-up blog post about a couple of events we attended over the last couple of weeks. But I got distracted (again) by compulsively checking a VW web site that posts cars for sale. I've been tracking a particular VW Beetle since February. It's an absolutely perfect '57, factory Agave green in colour. It was modified for performance by a club member of the legendary DBK (Der Blitzkrieg Kafers) Volkswagen club in California.
It was listed originally for $25,000, which really isn't exorbitant if you consider what it would cost today to reproduce it to such a  high level of quality. Probably double that amount, judging from photos posted by the seller. It looks like he bought a split and doesn't have room or time for two classic vintage VWs.

I didn't expect it would sell at 25 grand, but I also didn't expect it to still be on the market 7 months later. The price has steadily been dropping, but the funny part about it is the wording of the ad each time a new price reduction is posted.

In March the price fell by $2,000. But after that the seller seemed to dig in his heels. Every price reduction thereafter included the phrase, "Will not accept anything less than $(insert price here)."

Then in June it was, "Will not accept anything less than $20,000." And just last week a further revision appeared stating, "Will not accept anything less than $18,500." Well...quite obviously he will.

I tell ya, if my Lotto numbers perform for me this weekend (who can resist the allure of an office lotto pool?), I know exactly who I'm contacting. And the price is even less when you consider the Cdn/ US currency exchange rate right now. That knocks off about another 300 bucks.

It's almost come down to the level of another tempting Bug, this one in California. It's a '54 in very similar condition listed for $17,500. It's also dropped in price, but it didn't start out as high. They're both screamin' deals in terms of the value of existing parts and labour versus list prices.

Oh well, I'll drag myself away and continue concentrating on home renovations. We're actually making progress. The basement electrical wiring is getting finished this week, which will be followed by new drywall this winter, and of course painting and installation of lighting fixtures. That oughta keep my mind off vintage Volkswagens for a while.

It oughta, but I know it won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment