Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Two-wheeled Repsols

We just got back from a 3-week trip in Europe. The majority of it was concentrated in Switzerland, Germany and Spain. Throughout our travels I had my eyes open for motorcycles of all kinds, and these countries did not disappoint! Motorcycles are everywhere! I wasn't expecting to see such a large number of Harleys, most of them being Sportsters.I guess it's true: we desire European brands like Porsche/Audi or Ducati. Europeans desire North American brands like Cadillac/Corvette or Harley Davidson.

On our North American shores one model I've been drawn to in recent years is a Honda sportbike emblazoned with Repsol logos. I wasn't even sure what Repsol was; I haven't been paying too close attention since I'm not presently in the market for such a bike anyway.

As it turns out I saw one Repsol-branded sportbike parked in Heidelberg.


Later, in Vallodolid we passed a petrol station (impressive use of European lingo, doncha think?) carrying the Repsol brand. I don't know why I never made the connection before. Makes sense a fuel company would sponsor a motorcycle racing program. These street bikes are street legal replicas of racetrack bikes.


Later that same day I spotted another Repsol-clad bike in Valladolid, however one I wouldn't be so likely to want to ride. Thus far I'm not into scooters.

Currently on Craigslist a few Repsols are listed. This one's a 600cc version, although a 1000cc model is available as well. It's even got the muffler mounted under the tail section. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment