Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Friday, August 16, 2013

No Stinkin' Badges


As I walked to work this morning I passed a sporty-looking import car that I didn’t recognize. Well I kinda did. I recognized it as a right-hand-drive Japanese import, more than 15 years old. They’ve been popular the last few years. There are 3 of them in our parking lot.

What really caught my attention however was that there was no brand name on it, at least from the sides and front of the car; only a stylized “S”. That reminded me of a fun-fact I’d learned on our recent European vacation. Cars there can be ordered from the factory “de-badged”, meaning one can specify how many or few badges are to be affixed to a new car leaving the factory.

In the Vancouver/ Richmond area I’ve noticed the exact opposite. New sporty cars often are accessorized with more name badges than originally intended due to owner customization. I have to say I like the stealth approach better. Less is more. Also, why advertise to potential thieves that your car has the high-power engine option, or top interior trim level, etc. It’s common enough these days to have your car stolen.

The de-badging also reminded me of an unexpected car I’d seen yesterday posted on The Samba intentionally unmarked by its marque (un-marqued?).

As an aside, sadly I must report that a VW Bug I’ve been following for the last year and a half finally appears to have sold, but a car related to this blog topic has taken its place. A few blogs ago I described two distinct camps of Volkswagen Beetle customization; the Cal-look (with which the now-sold Agave green ’57 was grouped), and the German-look, later-model Beetles and Super Beetles upgraded with Porsche suspension and wheels, and often sporting high-power Type 4 engines. The new posting from yesterday is a de-badged 1970 Bug currently in the Netherlands, modified with 911 wheels, race-ready in terms of full roll cage and tuned suspension. And no stinkin’ badges (also one of the most memorable Blazing Saddles lines, IMHO).

No comments:

Post a Comment