Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Monday, February 16, 2015

Rufus and Ruby (throated)

It must be Spring. We have a hummingbird nesting right outside our front door. I noticed a hummingbird flying around our front yard on Superbowl Sunday. I don't normally watch the game but I was nursing a pretty bad cold and the couch looked awfully inviting. And plus, Seattle was in it, which added a little bit of Pacific Northwest flavour to the affair.

I managed to get a reasonably good photograph of the male by zooming my point-and-shoot into its electronic zoom zone.


The following week we were leaving the house via the front door, and as we turned around we were face to beak with the female hummingbird sitting on her nest in a tree branch that hangs low, adjacent to our house.

I can't tell if this is the male or female. They seem to swap nest duty.

It's interesting that her markings are so different from the male's. I know that the males are usually more brightly feathered, but the female has a fantastically bright red throat that flashes almost like chrome when the sun hits it.

Hopefully we'll get to see what the chicks look like. Quite an exciting Spring so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment