Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Friday, May 12, 2017

Star Sighting


The massive photo of Bono in yesterday’s Vancouver Sun entertainment section gives me pause to reflect that last Saturday at our weekly jogging group I think I experienced a Bono sighting in Burnaby’s Central Park. Of course, not knowing his recreational pursuits I don’t know if Bono is a jogger. But if he is, I saw a fellow matching his general description of medium height and build with yellow-tinted glasses and facial stubble (wearing a hat, perhaps as disguise?) approach us on a trail near the duck pond going the opposite direction. It’s not often one sees yellow-tinted lenses, and one thing I do know is that such lenses are a Bono trademark. I seem to remember that they aren’t simply a mega-star attention-getter; he does suffer from a condition that requires him to wear coloured lenses.
I may not have been alert to the possibility of a Bono sighting that morning except for the fact that a few nights ago I experienced a 90s musical flashback as I walked my dog in our neighbourhood. As I covered the blocks I could swear that I was hearing snippets of U2 music being carried by the breeze. It’s not unusual that occasionally when the wind is blowing south we can hear bits of concerts at BC Place or Rogers Arena. As I "turn the key and slowly unlock the door, A man breathes into his saxophone" I thought I recognized “Bullet the Blue Sky”. I used to play that double live CD on road trips to Seattle in my youth; cranked of course.
Perhaps he was simply looking for a place where the trails have no names. But in that case Bono still hasn’t found what he’s looking for as the trails in Central Park are indeed named. We passed each other on the Terry Fox 5 km trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment