Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Metamorphosis

On my way home from Superstore the other day I was waiting at the corner of Fraser and Marine to turn left. As I waited in the turning lane my gaze drifted to the hotel complex at the northeast corner. I've lived up the hill from this establishment for years now and I've passed it frequently. Strangely enough, I've never been inside. Despite that, it's still got a bit of my family history in it, as far as I've been told, that is.


As the story goes, back in the early 60's my dad used to live in this neighbourhood too. He rented an apartment or a basement suite somewhere on the south slope off Fraser Street. He worked at one of the mills bordering the Fraser River. I've been told that it was common practice to be able to cash one's paycheque at one of several hotel bars in the area. What better way than to ensure that some (or a lot) of that money stayed in the bar. I've also been told that that's what my dad did at least sometimes on payday when he was young and single. That's been a very common thought in my head every time I pass this establishment; there's that place again where I'm pretty sure my dad cashed a cheque or two and had a few beers with his pals after work. Always reminds me a bit of that old TV show "Cheers".

So as I sat there waiting for the green arrow turn signal I realized that this may be one of my last opportunities to snap a photo of the old haunt in such bright, low-angle, winter sunshine. Just a couple of days ago in leafing through our local Courier newspaper, on the last page, was an ad for a new development at this corner. Turns out it's soon to be re-developed as "Fraser Commons", comprised of 363 City Homes (i.e., condos) with shops, daycare and a park. I've noticed recently that some sort of construction activity was taking place in the hotel, but I hadn't realized that it's probably de-commissioning work, probably haz-mat removal prior to demolition.

"...with homes starting at $439,900..." Wow, not exactly easily affordable, even
 in this corner of East Van.

In this new era of Vancouver densification I suppose it's inevitable that such a high profile corner as this finally shuffles its way up the queue. In only 16 years of my residency in this corner of Vancouver I've witnessed some pretty staggering changes. Fraser Street in general hasn't changed much, at least in overall appearance of the buildings. But the preponderance of major intersections to morph into city centres is certainly the trend du jour. Heading west along Marine Drive one can see the rise of south Cambie Street with its cluster of high-rises, now protecting a gold clone of a Vancouver icon, the ancient hollow tree from Stanley Park, a re-imagining created by Douglas Coupland. It's pretty cool I hafta admit.

The rise of South Cambie Village.

Can't exactly drive through this one.

Then head up Cambie to see the rise of another city centre at the King Ed subway station. Again, a pretty staggering change in density with almost all the old single family dwellings being replaced with mid-rise condos.

The climbing crane at a Cambie/ King Ed project was being dismantled
 today. I snapped this shot while waiting for the traffic light.

Shifting over one big block east to Main Street and heading north, just past the Biltmore Hotel (which surprisingly is still there), one can witness yet another explosion of vertical growth. The largest building, at the corner of Main and Kingsway, even has tree on the roof. Then there's the east side of False Creek that now features what I guess you'd call Phase 2 of the Olympic Village. It used to be the site of Intermeccanica, Burger King, a car lot and probably a few more businesses I've already forgotten.

I'm not saying I feel there's anything wrong with the changes; it actually makes sense to maximize density at mass transit hubs. It's just interesting to me to see how drastically my city has changed in the reasonably short time I've lived here. If I'd moved away 15 years ago and came back now there would be areas I would totally not recognize.

The only new "centre" that leaves me feeling a bit nostalgic is the old Fraser/Marine corner. I wonder if I'll still think of Dad every time I pass by.

No comments:

Post a Comment