Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Soaring to new heights

I really can't think of a new or original comment regarding the heat. It's all been said already.

Yesterday it was announced that the daytime temperture was the highest ever recorded in Vancouver, officially 33.8 degrees Celcius. I thought they meant for this date, but no. It was the highest daytime temperature ever recorded in Vancouver. The previous record was 33.3 back in 1960.

At the very least I thought it was worthy of a photo of the thermometer on our West facing deck. This reading of 36 degrees C was taken at about 5:30 p.m.

And inside the house was no better. I offer this photo for the metrically challenged among us that cannot comfortably relate to Celcius. My wife and I use both Imperial and Metric interchangeably. It's the closest I'll probably get to being bi-lingual. Roughly translated, 92 degrees F compares to about 33 degrees C.

So...36 C outside versus 33 C inside. Or, said another way, jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

We're incredibly appreciative of having a basement in our house. That's the only place we can get a decent night's sleep lately. There is currently no thermometer downstairs but I'm going to get one today to check out how many degrees cooler it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment