Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Friday, July 17, 2009

Burnaby Lake bicycle overpass






I thought I'd post a short series of construction photos of the new bicycle/ pedestrian overpass at the Sperling/ Burnaby Lake Skytrain station. I've been monitoring its progress for many months.

One Monday morning I noticed that all the pre-fabricated sections had been delivered over the weekend. They had been placed close to the yellow upturned tripods at either side of the roadway.


A few weeks later on a Friday afternoon I read traffic notices posted on Lougheed Highway that said the intersection of Sperling Avenue at Winston Street would be closed for a few days to permit installation of the span.

Sure enough, on Monday morning the first piece had been raised into place.

A couple of days later the second piece was added.

It took about a week in total for the three sections to be hoisted in place and fastened together. The overpass is done now and it officially opened on June 27, 2009. I've since ridden across it and it's a vast safety improvement over having to cross a busy road and railway tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment