Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Blue Herons

We stumbled upon an interesting site last Sunday, March 25 while taking our dog to a fenced off-leash area in Stanley Park.


At the East side of the park, bordering the highrises, beside the tennis courts, is a grove of trees full of large bird nests. At this time of year, before the leaves obscure them, the nests are easy to spot. These dark patches in the crooks of tree limbs are what attracted me to look up. Then I heard screeching and noticed very large birds swooping in and about the tree tops. As we walked a bit further I noticed a sign saying that in these trees was a nesting community of Blue Herons. It was certainly the last place I expected to see them, beside rows of urban highrises.


Incidentally, I had seen a Blue Heron the previous day at Fraser River Park in SW Vancouver when we took Tannah to a Spaniel Meet-up. As she is most certainly an avid birder, I'd have to say she didn't see it. If she had she'd have gone nuts on her leash. That bird stood completely motionless on a tree trunk.


No comments:

Post a Comment