Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Sunday, October 24, 2010

GS pipes

Last weekend I installed a new (used) set of exhaust pipes on the GS. Their condition turned out to be as advertised; perfect. I de-greased them and chrome-polished them before installation.

One thing I learned, however, is that these "L" model pipes are not exactly the same as my 850G, as I thought they would be. The "L" pipes are about 6" shorter. It's not a huge deal, although I like the longer look better; it just makes the bike look more 70's somehow. In any case, The 4 into 2's look a lot better, in my opinion than the rusty 4 into 1. I've also gained a lot of clearance under the exhaust pipe. With the header installed it didn't seem to matter how slowly I went over a speed bump, I'd always at least scrape the pipe, if not dent it.

And one more thing, I don't know if an age-related or not, but I'm much happier with the quieter exhaust note. I know I really irritated my Dad back when I was 17 and I insisted on running a loud exhaust pipe known as a Stinger on my VW Beetle. He hated it, and I loved it.

Here are the before and after shots:


I found a photo of a restored GS850G with correct exhaust pipes; it's even the same colour scheme as mine. Notice how much longer the pipes are.



No comments:

Post a Comment