Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Classic Motorcycles of the '80s

I really know better. That is, I should know better than to peruse the motorcycle ads when I already have a motorcycle, albeit a project bike.

The motorcycle I really wanted back when I started looking was a 1979-80 Honda CB750F. I had one in my sights, but at the last moment the seller wouldn’t sell. I don’t know what happened, but I suspect a friend of his found out it was for sale, and the seller pulled the rug out from under me and sold it to him. And in case you think I’m being overtly cynical on the matter, it’s happened to me before.

Once upon a time, in my naïve twenties, I traded a ’71 Super Beetle for a 1940 Buick Super 4-door sedan; the worst deal I’ve ever made. Of course it was a restoration project, and I came across a seller in Seattle that had some parts I needed, among them 16” bias ply tires in new condition. He was cleaning out his garage, he said, and was transitioning into vintage bicycles. Fair enough. I made the trip and did purchase a few items, but on the very day I was there a buddy of his showed up and scooped the tires. I had made prior arrangements on the phone and it was a big reason I traveled from Vancouver to Seattle that day.

But getting back to today’s post, however, I stumbled upon no less than 5 motorcycles I’d have looked into if I was in the market for a ‘bike today, including a CB750F, a bike I haven’t seen advertised in this region in about 2-1/2 years. Oh well, them’s the breaks, I guess. I already have a motorcycle and since I located a stock exhaust system recently, things aren’t looking as bleak as they were not too long ago.

Just for interest's sake, the accused temptations are: a 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim,


a 1985 Yamaha FZ750,

a 1981 Kawasaki GPz1100,

a 1979 Honda GL1100,

And finally, a 1980 Honda CB750F Supersport.

Now I must be strong against temptation, and continue in my original quest to put my GS850 back on the road. It’s getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment