Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Hudson

I have to say, I do get to see some cool spaces with this job. Some are public, some aren’t.



Last week I was privileged to conduct a warranty review of the old Hudson’s Bay building in Victoria, which has recently been re-purposed as upscale condominiums.





I’m pretty keen on heritage preservation and revitalization, although the building envelope game I’m in doesn’t often get to play around in those areas. The last couple or three years I’ve taken quite a few courses offered by the Vancouver Heritage Foundation, whose tag line is “Creating New Life for Old Buildings”.



Several high profile buildings in Vancouver have been saved from the wrecking ball in recent years. In fact I conducted a warranty review in Vancouver a couple of years ago for another big-name department store conversion; Woodwards. And although I’m happy to still be able to see the giant “W” revolving in the sky downtown, I was a bit disappointed that, in the end, only two walls of the original structure were saved. And this was for retail/ commercial space, not residential. The living units are 100% new construction.



My interest was indeed piqued when I received instructions to put together a proposal for a new home warranty review for The Hudson; doubly so when we received a signed Work Authorization to proceed.





Construction began on the original Hudson’s Bay store in downtown Victoria in 1913, but was interrupted by WW1. The store finally opened for business in 1921. Eighty-two years later the store re-located to its present location a few blocks nearer the Inner Harbour, leaving an uninhabited shell behind to gather dust. In 2006 a developer bought it and started the long process of re-design.





I’m happy to report that the original façade has been retained, and restored. The building even features the original restored wood frame windows! Being in the building envelope biz I know I should renounce all things single pane on general principle, but I find the allure of wood-framed, single-hung sash windows to be strong indeed. Yes, it can be draughty, but the restoration process tightens up loose sashes, and seals gaps that took decades to develop.





One nifty feature that non-residents won't see is the new inner courtyard that was cut into the center of the building. It enables suites in the core to attract natural light, although their views are limited to their neighbours across the landscaped gap.






There's also a magnificent landscaped rooftop terrace on which to recline, or barbeque, or just take in the vistas of Victoria.



No comments:

Post a Comment