Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Monday, November 28, 2011

Black Friday

My job took me to Victoria on, of all days, Black Friday. And ironically, the building in which I was to conduct a warranty review is a former Hudson's Day department store!

First off, however, I must share with you the spectacular sunrise I encountered en route. Every time I ride the ferry, which is almost always between Tsawwassen/ Swartz Bay, I stay on the deck through Active Pass. It's the best part of the trip. That passage is the narrowest and gives you the best views of both shores. Plus the wind funnels through there with fury most of the time.

Last Friday I had just finished my breakfast as we cleared the open water stretch of the Strait of Georgia. Perfect timing. I bundled up (it was cold at dawn!) and stood on deck, armed and ready with my trusted Point-and-Shoot. It wasn't lost on me that I was about the only person on deck, save for a few smokers. Perhaps photography is a bit of an addition.

The sun's rays were almost cresting the trees on Mayne Island as we rounded the northwest tip of Mayne. Between that tip and Village Bay is where I caught the sun's first wink of the morning. Honestly, there aren't too many things I'd gladly awaken at 4:30 in the morning to witness, but this is truly one of them.

p.s. Just to be clear, the sun didn't actually rise at 4:30; it came up at about 7:50, although I had to get up at 4:30 to make the 7 a.m. boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment