Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Superheros Halloween

Well, it's all over (no, I'm not talking about Rob Ford) but the fireworks.

As I type, our neighbourhood is besieged by firecrackers and all manner of fireworks. As has been mentioned in local news this week, fireworks aren't a big thing for most towns and cities in Canada. We seem to have cornered the market here in Vancouver. I must admit I threw my share of fire crackers in my youth, but I just can't seem to get into it anymore.

These days I'm more into pumpkin carving. I figure it's the least I can do. There are several impressive front yard displays in this 'hood. I don't have the drive to compete. Besides it would take one heck of a concerted effort to be considered in the same league.

But I can carve. And the Internet provides a treasure trove of carving ideas.

This year I received quite a compliment actually, in a backward sort of way. Shauna went out to move our pumpkins closer to the front sidewalk as we weren't getting many kids to the door. She was returning to the house when a little girl walked past with her parent and said, "I don't want to go there; it's too scary."

It's not that I want to scare kids away, but I mean it was only a Spiderman-themed pumpkin. But I hafta say I'm kinda proud that my selection of what to carve, and what I did carve, had that  dramatic of an effect.
This year's theme was Superheros; Spiderman and Superman.
 Another successful Halloween. Oh yeah, and a record number of trick-or-treaters; 130.

No comments:

Post a Comment