Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Fort St. John

Probably the most interesting aspect of my job is the travel. Last week they sent me to Fort St. John (FSJ). That's the farthest north I've ever been. Last Fall they sent me to Grande Prairie which is close, but it's still south of FSJ.

FSJ reminded me a lot 100 Mile House where I spent a few summers as a kid; it is larger however. It was a good time to go at this season of the year, for the warm weather, and also to experience 2 extra hours of daylight than we experience in Vancouver at this time of year.

If the weather is clear and I have a window seat I try to always get a few aerial shots. I know you can get the same thing from Google Maps these days, but I still like to add my own perspective.

This is the tidal flat just west of the Vancouver airport.
I managed to trace our hike route from last summer to one of the lakes on Bowen Island.
It was mostly clear on the flight to FSJ; not much cloud cover except over some mountain ranges.
I like this shot showing the small clouds. It gives a bit of height perspective. The topography has already transitioned from mountains to plateau.
The populated area near the bridge is called Taylor. FSJ is farther up and to the right in this photo.
An ode to the traditional barn dance (that's my take on it anyway) is documented in this art piece close to where the 100s cross in FSJ.
A different class of art as viewed on a residential garage roof.
Coming home the mountains were very impressive, complimented by the deepening evening shadows.
The Ironworkers' Memorial 2nd Narrows Bridge was outlined sharply by the setting sun.
The new Port Mann Bridge almost completely hides the remaining portion of the old orange steel of Generation One.
During our round-about approach to YVR we crossed the farm fields of east Richmond, just bordering the east end industrial area.
Judging from the steady rain on Friday in FSJ and the rapid accumulation of very large puddles in the city streets, although this sign at the rental car desk was good for a laugh, I don't doubt that some of the returned vehicles are indeed a mess if they've been driven on gravel roads for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment