Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Monday, August 3, 2015

More Yellowknife

Before my next trip, which might actually be to Inuvik, I thought I should post a few more pics from my Yellowknife adventure. I did a bit of travel research prior to my departure in order to maximize my time on the ground, which I knew would be in short supply. My work assignment was to be in the newer part of of town, the "urban sprawl" area to use metropolitan slang, and the interesting stuff was to be found in Old Town, at the eastern end on the shores of Great Slave Lake.

The view from Pilot's Monument looking south across Yellowknife Bay.
Another view from Pilot's Monument looking north to Back Bay of Great Slave Lake.
Just east of Old Town is the Painted Rock which is a monument to the cross cultures of the region: the Metis, Dene, Inuvialuit, and English and French Canadian cultures.
These blue berries atop the Painted Rock looked like Blueberries...I didn't have enough information so I didn't press my luck by tasting them. 
A view of Back Bay from the north side of the Painted Rock.
This"road" leads to the Woodyard, one of Yellowknife's original shanty villages along Yellowknife Bay of Great Slave Lake. Some of the shacks are inhabited by "off-the-grid" locals.
The boardwalk that leads south to a bird sanctuary along the shore of Yellowknife Bay.
The shoreline Poplars of Fred Henne Park.
The striped bark on some of the Poplars is a striking feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment