Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Friday, February 19, 2016

My First 100 Mile House Winter Excursion

My employment took me to 100 Mile House this week for a couple of days. We're doing a portfolio of mall reviews and I jumped at the chance to take this one because I have history with the place. And also my Aunt Sandy and cousin Michelle live there so I would have a chance to stop in and see them.

It was interesting planning the flight. I just assumed I'd be on an Air Canada flight, but Williams Lake (the closest fly-in destination) is too small of a service center. I could have flown to Kamloops, but from there it's a 2 hour drive. In the end I booked passage with Central Mountain Air to Williams Lake aboard an 18 passenger twin prop. This way it was only a one hour drive to 100 Mile House. There were only 6 passengers aboard flying to Williams Lake and 8 upon my return.

This view is actually from the flight home but the clouds were much more conducive for photography. 
When I was about 12 my parents bought a small piece of recreational property, which eventually included a cabin, at Deka Lake. Years later we had a similar property (with cabin) at Horse Lake. It changed hands a few years ago but I wanted to drive by to see how it had changed. I haven't been to the 100 Mile House area in a few years. I figured I'd have time to go first thing in the morning. If I left the hotel by 7:30 a.m. I'd have time to drive to Horse Lake and back to be on site in town for 9:30 when the businesses open. What I hadn't factored in however was the thickness of the morning frost! That added probably 15 minutes of prep time before the car was ready to drive.

Frost patterns vary widely depending on vehicle surface type; glass versus sheet metal.

It turned out to be a gorgeous morning to be out and about early. Much nicer weather than the previous day when I flew in.
The west end of Horse Lake. The height of the sun already at 8 a.m. made me wish I'd gotten there even earlier for the sunrise.
Aalton Road, Horse Lake, BC
Another thing I hadn't anticipated was the fact that the road on which I'd traverse to reach the cabin is on the north slope of a hill which receives precious little direct sunshine during the winter. I was essentially driving on a gravel-strewn ice sheet. But not to worry. The road was practically deserted so I felt comfortable crawling along at a southern clime (i.e. Vancouver) city-dweller's pace so as to not land in a ditch. That would most assuredly mess up my appointment schedule for the day.

Here is our former little shack in the woods. I've never seen it in a snow setting before.
I'm really glad the new owner didn't redevelop the site. I still like that little building.
A few kilometers down the road was my next stop; my Aunt Sandy's house. She had a health setback a couple of years ago (she's on the mend now fortunately) and she can't handle the upkeep and maintenance of a 5 acre property (with house) anymore. "The Spread" as it was named is for sale and could potentially change ownership soon. I wanted to see it once more to collect a few photographs.
Morning sunlight has always been kind to this house. We enjoyed many summer breakfasts on that deck as guests.
The old dinner bell.
The weathervane. It used to be mounted on the garage.
The sun illuminating the sun.
There's actually a small pond here under the snow cover in front of the house.
Classic Cariboo chic.
I have many fond memories of staying here in the summer when we came to visit. There's trail, if you follow one of the fencelines, that leads to Horse Lake, skipping across a small portion of a neighbouring property. I used to take the dogs on a morning hike to the Lake before breakfast.

I even got to ride one of my Aunt's horses once. It took a bit of persuasion to get me in the saddle, but I enjoyed it.


Horse Lake all set up for ice hockey.
A typical rural Cariboo winter scene.
Here's Williams Lake from above. The iced-over lake reminds me of the iced-over windshield of my rental car. 



No comments:

Post a Comment