Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Zwei Deloreans

I came across the the most pleasantly surprising occurrence this afternoon, for a car geek that is. I was unexpectantly assigned a site inspection in downtown Vancouver so I was on the Knight Street bridge crossing from Richmond into Vancouver just after lunchtime. Traffic was heavy on the bridge, and since I'm not normally on that bridge at that time of day, I didn't know if that was typical volume. It seemed I was fighting it all the way across. Not like I was speeding or driving erratically. But you know sometimes how it just seems like no matter what lane you're in, it's the slow one? Happens in the supermarket too, minus the car of course.

Nonetheless, some unknown intelligent entity seems to have kept me at the perfect pace to make my in-traffic automotive discovery. I topped the hill at 54th Avenue in Vancouver, made the traffic light and executed the S-curve, made the following pedestrian light at the crosswalk, but was still behind a huge white panel van with a transport truck beside me. The transporter lagged and the panel van accelerated, and there to my immediate right was a Delorean with European plates. I was so surprised it took me a second the realize it was actually two Deloreans in tandem!

From the stickers on the cars it appears they're apparently on a world tour that's been going on since 2013, apparently originating in Germany. I looked up the website, but didn't get too far as I had to hit the translate button. It's a German site. Web translators are OK in a pinch, but the phrasing is usually all wrong. I'll try again later when I have more time. I'd like to find out a bit of the history behind the trip. I doubt it's been as off-the-beaten-track as Ewen McGregor and Charley Boorman's Long Way Round from a few years ago. Motorcycles allowed them to go places cars merely dream of. I don't recall that Deloreans weren't marketed for their four wheel drive prowess.


Both cars are fitted with steel rims in place of the original aluminum mags. And it looks like they may have a bit of increased ground clearance. Or the extra fender clearance may be due to a different wheel/tire selection. And checkout where the spare tires are mounted. I wonder if that's so they can each carry 2 spares.

No comments:

Post a Comment