Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Friday, December 9, 2016

The Great Divide

Just as I was beginning to think I'd be desk-bound for the rest of this calendar year, along came an assignment for a property condition assessment in Dawson Creek. It's about an hour's drive south from Fort St John. A very cold place this time of year; -24C! I manged to arrange the trip a day before a forecasted big dump of snow occurred here in Vancouver. I didn't want to chance missing my flight due to typically crazy Vancouver snow traffic.

The day turned out to be sunny for the majority of the flight; especially perfect for gazing at snow-capped peaks.
A light dusting of snow in Vancouver and the eastern fields of Richmond.

Long early morning shadows at Metrotown and Central Park in Burnaby.

The snow-covered coastal range really was spectacularly highlighted courtesy
of the rising sun. Heli-skiing anyone?
On several flights to the Fort St John region I've never before seen the divide so clearly between the coastal mountain range and the northern plains. I'm not even sure that "northern plains" is the correct geologic terminology, but the change was certainly evident from this height.
The great divide.

The patchwork of fields approaching Fort St John.

No comments:

Post a Comment