Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Monday, May 28, 2018

"The Whip" Car Show

It's been an annual event for a few years now to hold a custom car\ custom motorcycle show at the The Whip restaurant on E. 6th Avenue in Vancouver. I try to stop by when I can (translation: when I remember). This year I happened across an ad for it in the Georgia Straight, so again it was rather by fluke that I didn't miss it entirely. It's always has great cars (with a few great motorcycles thrown in) and great music. This year it was "The Modelos".

I'm pretty sure the car on the right (a '49 Ford, I think) won. I was already half a block away when the winner was announced. Strangely enough, I thought I'd already photographed this car in the West End a few years ago (turns out it was in 2009), but it wasn't the same car. Wasn't even a Ford; although close enough, it was a Mercury ('49 or '50).



These two '32 Hi-boys were only 2 digits apart in their Collector plates.

GTO genealogy was well represented spanning a couple of generations.

A COE truck makes a pretty rare street rod. Hopefully this is a trend.

Three guesses to come up with the tell-tale sign that this event was held in
East Van (and the first two guesses don't count) :-)

In the custom Volkswagen world this would be known as a Rat Rod. I suppose
the terminology probably applies to hot rods too, probably even originated there.

A couple of '53 Chevys were displayed (see below as well).

Again, a bit of Rat Rod theme...or maybe just a really low paint budget.

And finally, for the "money is no object" crowd, a '63-67 era Corvette.

This year there were more custom bicycles entered than custom motorcycles,
although according to the ad it does say "bikes". As there was one Harley
on display I'm just guessing that "bikes" comprises a broader scope than mere
pedal power. Maybe this'll provide me enough incentive to finish my '48 
CCM for next year's show.

No comments:

Post a Comment