Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Remembrance Day 2018

I felt compelled to watch the Remembrance Day service held at Victory Square in Vancouver this year. I don't know why. Perhaps it held added relevance due to it being the 100th Anniversary. I don't usually watch it, although it's certainly not that I don't have a very high appreciation for the sacrifices that have been made for our freedom; I am greatly appreciative. Perhaps it's that our family never really talked about military service when I was a kid. My dad had endured many traumatic experiences growing up during World War II in the region that was to become East Germany. I think because of that, war was not talked about much in our family. Best not to bring it up. And on my mom's side, her three uncles had served in the three branches of the Armed Services. Similarly their experiences were not discussed; I don't know why. 

Today the master of ceremonies at Victory Square announced that a flypast would take place at 11 o'clock, and I figured I'd be able to see it from my perch in East Van. A few tips of buildings in the downtown core are visible from our deck. So I grabbed my dSLR with its zoom lens and caught a couple of shots of a 4-prop transporter that flew directly over our house. I'm not up on identification of planes so I don't know what make and model it was, but it's based in Comox I think. Quite a somber observance to imagine being part of a troop flying off to combat.




No comments:

Post a Comment