Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Thursday, January 17, 2019

River District Time Progression

Before the River District transformation progresses any further, I thought I'd share some past photos of an old warehouse at the east end that will surely be demolished soon in the constant push for more condos.

Circa 2013.

2019: The only real change is the brightness added by the graffiti.

Still a blank canvas in  January of 2013.

2019: I  need a translation from Hipster to English. What's the last letter?

A similar warehouse still exists in the Olympic Village development. I don't know what the plans are for it, but I've been meaning to return to photograph it again for a similar time lapse photo spread. I shot it way back in about 2006 before construction even started on the Olympic condos.

We've lived in Vancouver for almost 20 years now and I regret not having photographed an even older warehouse that was demolished long before the winter Olympics. The bike route along the south shore of False Creek had been started, but it included a U-shaped detour around an inlet where a large deteriorating boat was moored. The warehouse I believe was supported by piling over the water. I wish I'd taken a few photos of it, but that was before the convenience of digital cameras and I didn't often bring my 35mm with me in those days.


No comments:

Post a Comment