Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Friday, February 1, 2019

Pop-up Concert

OK, you've gotta keep a secret for me on this one. I've been sick with a cold/flu the last three days (i.e., home from work), but I felt well enough, and was hungry enough to drive to Duffins close by to get a sub sandwich for lunch. As I was parking the car it was announced on the radio that the Arkells were going to play a "pop-up" show at a local doughnut shop called Cartems on Main Street.

It crossed my mind that it was only about 15 minutes away and I thought, "Why not go?" So I did. It was pretty cool to see them play their short 3-song acoustic set in a doughnut shop setting. Turns out they played a gig in Cancun (!) on Monday night, then Edmonton last night. I think they went straight from the airport to Cartems, then they're playing the PNE Coliseum tomorrow night. At home later I turned on CBC radio to hear the end of one their songs; turns out I just missed an on-air interview. They probably did a tour of radio stations this afternoon. Talk about a packed itinerary.

The first two songs were beside the front window.

They moved to the centre of the store for their last song.

I guess "merch" in this case is a custom-frosted doughnut instead of a concert
t-shirt.

We last saw them live at a cold outdoor venue during the 2010 Olympics at Holland Park in Surrey. They mentioned that show today between songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment