Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cultural Olympiad at Granville Island

On Sunday night Shauna suggested we check out Granville Island so we could take in some of the Cultural Olympiad events without having to face massive downtown crowds.

She wanted to see the French pavilion as there was a concert at 6 pm by Pierre LaPoint. Neither one of us had heard his music before but Shauna had heard he was well worth hearing.

We got there early and went across the street for coffee. While I sipped my freshly roasted java beverage I could hear drums approaching. We stepped outside the coffee bar to take in a group of strolling minstrels all decked out in bright green and yellow uniforms. There was an element of whimsy in their performance and it was obvious they were having a good time. I took a short video of them and we went back to the concert stage to stake out a good spot.

A few minutes later I heard the drums again but couldn't immediately identify the location. Everyone around me was looking up, and there were the drummers suspended from a crane looking all the world like a child's mobile hung above a crib. Plus, a woman on a trapeze was performing above them! Pretty awesome pre-show performance. That was absolutely the last thing I expected to see.


Although my French comprehension is what you might expect with not having kept up with it after Grade 11, I really enjoyed the concert. Pierre LaPoint is a talented vocalist and also played piano on a few selections. He was accompanied by several other musicians, and at times I was reminded of SuperTramp, and also of Dave Matthews. A spectacularly clear night capped the evening.


On the way off the Island I took a couple of shots of the searchlight formations piercing the night skies from both shores of English Bay. We can actually see them from our back deck, although of course, not nearly as up close and personal.


No comments:

Post a Comment