Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Blackberries; no, not hand-held devices, the REAL berries







It's blackberry season again! This is big news because somehow I missed it last year. Repeated declarations of "I want to pick blackberries this weekend" somehow never materialized. A classic example of time mis-management.

This year I vowed to partake in the harvest after our return from Winnipeg. The berries would be in full swing by then.

And so they were, but...after an usually wet Spring, right up into June and July, the blackberries were off to a slow start. I picked a few pounds last evening but they were much smaller than in past years.

Busy-work, as I would categorize berry-picking, is an absorptive task, sometimes so much so that I can "zone-out" to a degree. I mention this because last evening, after picking berries for probably half an hour already at my secret location in Richmond, I was "in the zone". Completely oblivious to distractions until a reflective flash of glass caught my eye. I realized that the massive thicket I was working on was actually concealing a large, long-abandoned greenhouse building. The whole thing was covered from one side t'other, including most of its roof. One can only imagine what it must look like peering from the inside out.

Right now all I'm thinking of is blackberry ice cream. Mmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment