Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Uni-athlon

I must admit, I had grand visions of participating in the Vancouver to Whistler Gran Fondo this year. But I talked myself into believing I'm a short-distance cyclist.

Now I'm thinking of myself, "What a wuss!"

The unicyclist in this photo is the same guy that's done the Ride To Conquer Cancer (Vancouver to Seattle) in oh-nine and twenty-ten. I didn't actually see him in 2011, but heard from other riders he participated this year as well.

If a guy can ride 120 km on a unicycle, I feel a bit sheepish for having wimped out. I was concerned I'd be out-classed since I ride a mountain bike.

This guy is indeed an inspiration to those of us that think we can't.

p.s. The newspaper article isn't quite accurate. This ride doesn't attract 7,000 riders each year, although it might in time. This is only the 2nd year for the Fondo in Vancouver, and last year the limit was 4,000 riders.

No comments:

Post a Comment