Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Friday, September 2, 2011

Discovered Treasure!

I was walking our dog past one of our neighbourhood's more notorious dumpy houses a couple of nights ago when I noticed a change. The half hidden Jeep pick-up that's been stashed in a corner of the front yard for as long as I can remember (and we've lived in this neighbourhood coming up to 9 years) was gone. And there seemed to be a bit less foliage (i.e brambles) than I remembered.


I looked down the side of the house and saw a pick-up in the back yard. As you can see from the photo I took last December, there really wasn't much of a usable back yard. Almost all of it was covered in brambles. My interest was piqued. My dog and I went around the corner and down the back lane for a better look.

My guess is that the City received enough complaints that they came in and clear-cut the place. And wouldn't ya know it, there were 2 cars under all those vines and branches! I'm not bold enough to march into the yard to read the back license plates, but I'd really like to know what year is on the last insurance decals for both those cars. They're the current style of plates, but I'm pretty sure ICBC started issuing that style just before Expo 86.

The big Chevy has a large dent in the roof which would correspond to the fact that there also used to be a garage under all the overgrowth. You can't really tell in the photo. I guess the Chevy took the brunt of the roof collapsing, sparing the Datsun 510.

The pick-up is the one that used to be in the front yard.

p.s. I managed to see the rear license plates of both cars a couple of days later. The Chevy was last insured in 1987, and the 510 was parked at the end of 1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment