Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Last Kombi Standing

While Volks-surfing recently I came across an ad for a cool project. I’ve always been partial to VW buses and I must admit I like the patina style of bodywork of late. For those unfamiliar with the term “patina”, at least in how it relates to cars, it’s when the paint wears away in areas of the car exposing the undercoat, and sometimes even beyond that to bare metal. I think it mostly happens in hot, dry climates because the effect usually doesn’t cause any rust deformation of the sheet metal.
The bus I saw is for sale in Alberta and has a decent patina to it. It’d look great with a modified lowered suspension, disc brakes and old school BRMs on it. I’d clean the paint but wouldn’t repaint it. Explained as such it doesn’t sound like an insanely expensive project to undertake. But alas, it has become so.
It wasn’t too long ago (OK, it was 20-25 years ago) that a slammed VW van was affordable. Now you have to hope a dear long lost uncle might leave you one in his will. Even backyard buses perched on tree stumps converted to chicken coops will set you back 5 figures. Low 5 figures, mind you.
Take this most recent example I discovered on The Samba. It’s a cool patina’d Kombi minus interior and engine that’s been sitting outdoors for years in a dry region of the country (central Alberta). It’s gotten snowed upon but that doesn’t appear to have done any real long-lasting damage.
Might not pass a safety inspection in its current state.
Not suitable for wearing shorts.
I remember 25 years ago I bought a similar bus in similar condition originally from a similar region of the country. It was actually more complete than this one just posted. Mine was actually sitting on 4 wheels. It would have even been a roller had it not been for its seized transmission.  It was minus an engine, but it was only 500 bucks!
Guess what this new Kombi is offered for? Well, I already gave you a hint. Its’s just shy of $10,000! And just to add insult to injury, the ad says it’s in US funds no less! Nice. Add another 25% cash grab for us poor northern schmucks due to the present unfavourable Canadian/US exchange rate.
And oh yeah… BYOE…
(bring your own engine).
LOL.
But ya know the stupidest thing about this scenario? I still want to buy it.
LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment