Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Saturday, September 12, 2015

PG

My latest work road trip took me to Prince George. It was a bit of whirlwind trip as it included the review of a mall with eight buildings plus a warehouse building for a different client. The last time I reviewed a big box mall it took me two days. But this one had a bit of a short deadline and it was approved without enough notice to allow for a three day trip. Hence, I did 2-1/2 days of work in two days. Oh well, I banked some OT at least but it didn't allow for any exploration of the town besides the requisite searching for restaurants.

The mall was pretty straight forward as the original tenant, the Bay was the oldest building dating from the mid sixties with the balance of the buildings being added in the mid nineties.


It was the second assignment that provided the excitement. As a bit of fore-shadowing, the evening before the second assignment commenced, five motorcycles with Washington plates pulled into the motel where I was staying. One of them happened to be a KTM, and wouldn't ya know it, the subject building for the next day's review was a KTM/Canam dealership! Far be it from me to balk at hanging out with motorcycles for a a few hours.

The 2015 line-up.
The advantage of this line of work is getting to see stuff the public doesn't get access to. In one of the back areas of the warehouse I came across a vintage Canam dirt bike, in pretty good shape for its age. I'd certainly take it for a blast if the offer came up! Back when I was a teenager we used to explore the logging roads in and around Deka Lake near 100 Mile House on dirt bikes. Lack of close proximity to the back country is one disadvantage of my current city dwelling, i.e. Vancouver.

A well-preserved Canam; probably a 250 from about the late 70's, maybe early 80's.
It was plain to see what season they'd stocked up for. Behind the building was a stack of packing crates containing snow mobiles. Not a common site in the lower mainland where I live.

Looks almost like wrapped stacked lumber, except much more fun!
Now this is the box I want to find under the Christmas tree this year!
Apparently I didn't read the fine print in the documentation I was given for this assignment. It was a pleasant surprise to find motorcycles on site.

No comments:

Post a Comment