Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Galloping Goose (Day 2)

Day 2 was 50 km. We weren't sure how far we'd get on day 2, but our minimum target was Sooke Potholes Park. As it turned out the trail system is very well maintained and it's easy to keep a quick pace on a bike.

Easy late summer riding. 

Approaching Sooke harbour.
This moss reminds me of the stuff that gets strewn about trees at Hallowe'en.
I've always been drawn to Arbutus trees. They look especially dramatic at low sun angles.
It's truly surprising how well deer blend into their surroundings. This deer and I startled ourselves into the middle of next week on my return from Sooke Potholes. The crunching of gravel under my bikes tires must have suddenly betrayed my presence as this deer jumped right out in front of my bike. Fortunately it stood still long enough for me to photograph it. I did ask politely, after all.

Saw lotsa rabbits on this trip. As I discovered later these two turned out to be domesticated. I saw much smaller, faster ones later which proved to be too fast for me to photograph.
This is the only railway trackside building we saw, this one being just beyond the convention center ruins.
We logged about 100 km on Day 2, more than earning a dip in the hotel pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment