Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Monday, January 2, 2017

2017

Happy belated New Year. And Happy Birthday to me. Looks like I got a white birthday this year. Whether I wanted it or not remains to be seen. However yesterday our New Year's Day/Happy (early) Birthday celebration was quite well attended despite the road conditions. From what I saw this morning the main arterial routes are bare and dry. Different story entirely for the side streets and back lanes. I was talking to my neighbour this afternoon and he showed me a video of his daughter skating in the intersection of cross streets just a block away from us. I'd heard on the local news of people doing that but hadn't seen it myself until then. To use a well-worn and incredibly over-used description, it is definitely an ice rink out there. I now have a nasty bruise near my elbow to prove it. Got it this morning walking Tannah attempting to cross a side street.

This is our back lane.

The North Shore mountains.

Believe it or not, this is the condition of a typical intersection in my
neighbourhood. Looks pretty, but don't try walking on it! 
And as much as I visually like the sight of snow and ice, I am getting kind of tired of it. A bit too much shoveling, slipping and falling involved. Spoken like a true west coaster I suppose.

The forecast is for clear and cold conditions for the next few days with more snow predicted for next weekend. I remember a big winter storm that was reported in Toronto a few years ago that rather turned into the butt of a joke since the Army was called in to help with snow clearing. But in Vancouver's current condition I'd suggest bringing in a Zamboni or two.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment