Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Motorcycle Show 2017 at Tradex in Abbotsford

Jeff and I attended the new motorcycle show at the Tradex Centre in Abbotsford on Saturday. It's the annual drool fest of new two-wheeled toys from all the major manufacturers. I'm not planning to trade up at the moment but there are a few models I've been keeping my eye on and this event is always a good low-pressure atmosphere to swing a leg over a few bikes.

Ducati Scrambler
A new (but actually old) category has been introduced in the last 2 or 3 years; the Scrambler. It's actually a re-introduction of the genesis of the modern dirt bike. It's essentially been taken back to its roots.

Back in the late 1960s and early 70s dirt bikes didn't yet exist. I'm not sure if Honda was the first, but the history I am aware of is that someone in R&D modified the exhaust pipe of a CB400 (or similar model), installed more aggressive off-road tires and marketed a motorcycle made for exploring unpaved roads. The "Scrambler" as it was known was an instant hit. More modifications rapidly followed, specifically more suspension travel thus creating the dirt bike phenomenon .

Fast forward 50 years and nostalgia has gripped the motorcycle world. Perhaps it's all just a marketing ploy aimed at Hipsters but despite being outside that age category I've been attracted to the new Scrambler revolution since the very first prototype photo I saw. A couple of years ago there were only two players, and unfortunately they were expensive European entries: BMW and Ducati. Nonetheless I dutifully attended the new bike show to see them in person and see how they felt ergonomically. I remained as instantly drawn to the BMW in person as I had been when viewing it online.

BMW RnineT Scambler
Curiously, since last year only one Japanese manufacturer has entered into the Scrambler fray: Yamaha. I'm a bit of a Yamaha aficionado having owned four of them over the years. Their entry is a 900 model which I've read about, watched Youtube videos about and was anxious to experience in person.

Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler
I like it visually except for one glaring deficiency in my opinion: the low-slung exhaust. I hope there's an option for an upswept exhaust pipe. I think this street bike exhaust system defeats the purpose. Naturally I swung a  leg over it and immediately bashed the side of my shin on the right side foot peg. Yamaha's answer to exhaust pipe clearance seems to be to spread the footpegs wider which for me makes for an awkward seating position. Maybe I'm just too used to sportbike posture and I'd get used to this one, but it just seems to me the obvious solution is to supply it with an upswept exhaust as standard equipment.

Ultimately I'm happy that this year there is at least one more entrant in the Scrambler category, but I really thought all of the Japanese "big four" would quickly jump in. Not so far at least.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not ready to purchase a new motorcycle now, but I'm always ready to kick the tires of the new models.

No comments:

Post a Comment