Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Monday, October 9, 2017

The Seal and the Rainbow

(Note: Posted out of order. This event occurred the week prior to the Victoria 8K.)
A job assignment yesterday took me via float plane to Victoria. A picture-perfect day it was too, a clear sunny Autumn day. Since I had forgotten my camera in the office, I was committed to using my iPhone to take job site photos, and thus wasn’t intending to take many photos en route to prolong battery life. But who am I kidding? I always take photos on a clear day when traveling by plane, especially via low-altitude craft.

The Lion's Gate bridge at about 8:10 a.m.

The Lion’s Gate bridge is always a photographic temptation, and I succumbed to a near sunrise photo op. Then after leaving the English Bay area, somewhere over the Strait of Juan de Fuca, we encountered some low clouds and I witnessed a peculiar phenomenon that I think was the result of a weird refraction of light through the plane windows from the low angle of the rising sun. A rainbow halo appeared completely encircling the shadow of the float plane on the clouds. I’ve never seen anything like it. Fortunately I had a camera (iPhone) handy.

The other cool thing about the trip occurred on the return leg. I was sitting in the sun on the deck of the float plane terminal when I saw a woman talking to a tour boat operator whose boat was tied up almost right next to me. 

They kept talking and looking into the water. A couple more people walked by, stopped, and also looked into the water. When I got up to investigate I realized they were looking at a seal swimming below the surface, looking up at us, but more specifically looking up at the boat operator. He explained that he often throws fish scraps into the water, left over from his excursions. The seal was swimming around like a trained dog waiting for a treat.





I almost forgot to mention that the plane on the way over to Victoria was all decked out to commemorate Canada's sesqui-centennial. 


No comments:

Post a Comment