Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Chilly Chase 2018

To tell you the truth, I'd kinda been dreading this event for the past week for two reasons: I didn't have good runs the week preceding the event and the weather forecast was for torrential rain. Rain has made for colourful descriptions of the epic drenching we underwent during the 2016 Eastside 10K. I think the tale gets taller with every re-telling. But really, it was uncomfortably wet.

The Chilly Chase actually went really well. The worst of the weather largely held off until later in the day, and I jogged a good pace without any knee or hip discomfort to a finish of 1:02:30. I'm always a bit disappointed to miss a 10 km/h pace, but really, I haven't been aggressive enough in my recent training to realistically be able to expect a faster result. A pain-free finish is worth the extra 2-1/2 minutes. But to cheer me up, the stats say I placed 8th in my age category, and in about the middle of the of the pack; 8 out of 14.

Shauna did well too at about 1 hour 13 minutes, consistent with the Victoria 10K event last Thanksgiving weekend.

We prepared for any weather system this morning. We even
took public transit!

Fresh before the big run (and by 'big', I mean 10 km).

Despite the "Start" sign in the background, we are actually at the finish line.
Unfortunately I didn't get our medals in the frame, only the straps.


The post-brunch glow.

Almost 100% rain from here on in...We
got lucky this morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment