Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Vacancy

Sometimes this job is quite interesting. I like gaining access to places most people don't get to see, like vacant buildings.

There's a building in Surrey I've known about for years whose construction just never seems to end; every time I drive down that road, which isn't often anymore sine I moved to Vancouver, it's always seems to be in a state of non-occupancy. I remember years and years ago driving past reasonably often and a making mental note that the place still wasn't finished.

Fast forward to now (i.e., early this week) and there I was conducting a property condition assessment on the place. One thing I learned, which is something that never came to mind driving past in a car is how huge the place really is. Although I suppose any place will feel big when you've got to walk every floor, every parking garage level and the outside perimeter shell. Six hours later I now know every corner in the place.

I've been privileged the last 4 years to cover some large vacant spaces; everything from the former Zellers store in Richmond to a vacant Sears in Kamloops (do I see a department store pattern forming?). I think this is my first vacant office space. Certainly it's my first aged building in which there has never been a tenant.

Dual escalators in the ground floor vaulted ceiling entrance lobby.

The ground floor looks like a suitable candidate for an IKEA photo shoot.

This was a good exercise for my iPhone's panoramic feature.

By the time I reached P2 I was really making a case in my mind for a Segue (you know, those self-centering two-wheeled scooters). Either that or at least roller blades.

No comments:

Post a Comment