Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Canada Line

I had an opportunity to ride the new Canada Line on Cambie today. Afterwards, I was coming up the stairs from the train to catch the bus at King Ed and 33rd. I looked up from the stairs and read a sign that simply said “Way Out”. It struck me as some sort of flash card from Sesame Street. Hmmm. Better not confuse that with “Far out”.

What ever happened to “Exit”? If Vancouver is hosting the world in under six months for the Olympics shouldn’t we be using universal signage? Is someone with marginal English going to know what “Way Out” means? I know it’s pretty obvious if you’re climbing the stairs after getting off the train, but I really think “Way Out” is a bit casual. It just seems odd.

I would have photographed the sign itself to add another source of media to this post, but then I recalled all the hullabaloo I’ve heard recently about the Transit Authority asking riders to report anyone they see photographing transit infrastructure. Security, security, security doncha know.

Don’t get me started.

No comments:

Post a Comment