Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Friday, August 7, 2009

I'se the b'y that builds the boat...Day Three

I’se the b'y that builds the boat

An’ I’se the b'y that sails her

I’se the b'y that catches the fish

An' takes ‘em home to Liza.

I didn’t get the first few words of this folk song at the beginning but as it turns out, a couple of other words could be substituted for “b'y”. “Guy” or “boy” would suffice to give sense to it.

Once you know that it’s hard to think there was ever a time you didn’t understand this fisherman’s song.

This is one of the folk songs that Loyola O’Brien, our boat tour guide, sang to all aboard yesterday as we embarked on a whale/Puffin sighting excursion from Bay Bulls, Newfoundland. At certain times of the year this tour would include icebergs too, but alas, not in August.

Bird Island (as it's known) actually reminded me a bit of Vancouver in terms of far too many birds competing to live on the same small piece of real estate. Apparently postal code envy exists in birdland, too. Who knew?

Loyala explained that there were even a handful of birds nesting on that cliff side that were direct descendants of the Dodo, but I couldn’t locate where he had pointed. I don’t remember the name either, but trust me, he did say it!

No comments:

Post a Comment