Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Monday, January 11, 2010

Dream Journal entry #3: (black) Shelby

My black Shelby appeared in my dreams again last night.

The location was a farm, and it seemed like I had arrived there with someone else for the purposes of reporting, as if we were news reporters. And guess who’s farm it was? Peter Mansbridge’s! I wonder if he really has a farm on which to enjoy his non-on-camera time.

Have you ever watched the show “All Creatures Great and Small”? It’s a rather old British show about country vets that was set in the Scottish highlands; or perhaps Peter Mansbridge’s farm. The rolling hills were that similar.

We parked the car at the gate and walked over to speak to Mr. Mansbridge, and as we did he was calmly gazing at the nearby hills. I followed his gaze and saw Shelby running and playing with Wagner, my Mom’s Shelty.

Those two dogs used to rip around my Mom’s backyard like it was a race track when they were young. The back yard literally had a circular path worn into its perimeter. Shelby was a bit older, and was full size when Wagner came along as a puppy. He loved Shelby’s floppy ears! They were irresistible to him. Many a time Shelby would run the length of the back yard with one of her ears in Wagner’s chops. Those two dogs sure loved each other. Shelby never snapped at Wagner for his ear fetish.

In my dream I saw Shelby run down the gravel road that led to the Mansbridge farm gate, chasing Wagner. The two dogs both jumped the ditch, one at a time, turned around, jumped back over the ditch, and ran back up the road even faster, this time Wagner chasing Shelby.


I'm sure glad I remember dreams about my black Shelby. It’s how we keep in touch these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment