Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mind Folders

Yesterday I signed up for the Sun Run training program called ‘InTraining’. I didn’t want to miss out on it like I almost did last year.

The first few days of January are always a bit chaotic, I find. I should really find a way to defrag my brain every New Year. How’s that for a resolution? I seem to have way too many folders open in my head at any one time. Here’s an abbreviated sample of folders that are currently open:

  • the ‘New Year’s Resolutions’ folder (Yeah, well, everyone’s got that one. It’s kind of a default folder.)
  • the ‘Come to terms with our Cocker Spaniel’s illness’ folder (This is an emotional one.)
  • the ‘Put away Christmas stuff’ folder
  • the ‘De-clutter the house and create a Donate-to-Big-Brothers box (or other charity du jour) for unused clothing and household items’ folder
  • the ‘Who should I add to my email address book this year to solicit donations to raise $2,500 in order for me to participate in the 2010 Ride to Conquer Cancer?’ folder
  • the ‘Must incorporate (much) longer training rides into my training regimen this year to reduce saddle soreness for the 2-day RTCC’ folder
  • the ‘Drywall the laundry room’ folder
  • the ‘Fill the nail holes in the baseboards (finally!)’ folder
  • the ‘Charge the battery so I can start my motorcycle after sitting for 2 months’ folder
  • the ‘This year I’ll spend more time with Photoshop Elements’ folder
  • the ‘This is the year we organize and de-clutter the office (aka the 2nd bedroom)’ folder
  • the ‘Must replace 17 year old car before grinding noises in transmission become fatal’ folder
  • the ‘I really should take steps to advance my professional development this year’ folder
  • the ‘Realization that I again forgot to plant tulip bulbs in the front yard last Fall (Doh!)’ folder

You get the idea. It’s probably no wonder I got to Renfrew Community Centre last January thinking I had already signed up for InTraining.

I ended up having to put my name on a waiting list in case someone cancelled. They let me run with the group that day anyway, and fortunately Renfrew phoned the following Monday to say I was in.

From past experience I’ve learned how to close that folder. Sign up early. I’m now registered for the 2010 Sun Run.

Gee, look, another Resolution; learn how to manage, if not close, mind folders.

No comments:

Post a Comment