Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bloedel Conservatory

We took my Mom to Queen Elizabeth Park on Mother’s Day.

The headline a few months ago of the supposed imminent closure of the Conservatory gave me the idea. I got suckered in by the City’s official press release to the “Great Unwashed.” If the City shuts the cash valve, the Conservatory will close. A pure panic play if I ever heard one. I’m more than a bit p.o.’d that I fell for it.

Some days, when my guard is down, my naiveté shifts into high gear. Of course the Conservatory isn’t going to close. But it is true the City doesn’t want to fund its operation any longer. If you think about it, it’s actually a very clever plan.

First, generate public outrage concerning closing a treasured, if not currently popular, public facility. Second, plead innocence by telling citizenry that if they don’t want their property taxes to rise, obviously (drastic) budget cuts are warranted. Finally, as a master stroke, “give in” by saying the City will accept proposals from private entities to take over day-to-day expenses, thus “Saving the day”.

Politics is fascinating to follow. I learned so much from Chris Haddock’s Da Vinci’s City Hall. It’s no wonder (government-subsidized) CBC cancelled it; too many secret strategies revealed. Shield the public from viewing the delicate innards of the political machine, lest a spanner get tossed in the works.

Come to think of it, the real master stroke is how much publicity this whole episode has garnered the Conservatory. I haven’t researched the numbers, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if attendance numbers are way up.

As for Mother’s Day, considering the fine weather and in defiance of the hype as outlined above, in the end we decided to bring our dog, Tannah with us and take in the outdoor gardens of QE Park, as opposed to entering the Conservatory. I have faith that it’s going to be around a while yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment