Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Thursday, May 20, 2010

A long ride

I completed a long ride this past Saturday in preparation for my participation in the 2010 Ride To Conquer Cancer next month. I rode 42 km, which capped off a 120 km week.

Not bad, but I’m going to be riding 120 km per day on the Ride, so I thought I’d better step it up. Last week I figured I had about 5 weeks left for training, so I planned a Saturday ride that traveled along Burnaby Lake, east of the office where I work.

Burnaby’s bike network has been steadily improving ever since I started working here 3 years ago. I normally combine bike commuting with Skytrain, especially in the morning. It’s a downhill cruise from my house to the train, thus eliminating the need for a shower when I get to work. The homeward trek is the real workout.

Last year the final pieces of Burnaby’s dedicated bike route were completed (from my office to home, at least). Up to that point portions of my trip had to be shared with vehicular traffic on busy thoroughfares like Lougheed Highway. The shoulders are wide, but it’s still a bit precarious having to cross off-ramps. I have a mirror on my bike, and I frequently shoulder check (shameless plug for motorcycle training!), but it’s still a better option to avoid cars as much as possible. It makes for a much more stress-free experience.

Despite printing a map of my proposed Saturday morning route, I got lost anyway. Apparently the scale was too small. Upon review it turns out I should have gone under an overpass at the East end of Burnaby Lake rather than over it. Instead of the gentle inclines I was expecting to encounter on my loop from East Van to Burnaby and New Westminster, I found myself confronted by a massive hill at the base of Cariboo Road. After having to walk my bike part way up, I was soon on my way again following a Westward heading. Eventually I crossed Kingsway (New West) and zig-zagged my way over to Jim Pattison Suzuki to pick up exhaust gaskets I had pre-ordered for my GS850.

Check out some of the artwork that’s springing up along the bike route.

BTW, yesterday I fulfilled my fundraising goal of $2500 to qualify to participate in the 2010 Ride To Conquer Cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment