Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Stretchie


Every dog has its endearing traits. Shelby GT used to rear up and charge into me when I’d crouch down to put on my shoes, especially when I was about to take her for a walk, or upon arrival home from work when I was removing my shoes. It was almost like she was giving me a hug.


With Tannah, it’s stretching. She does this one stretch that I’ve never seen a dog do before. She stretches her front legs out in front of her as far as they will go, and then does the same thing with her back legs. It’s definitely a two stage affair. When she’s laid out end to end she must be about 4 feet long.


Ever since the first time I saw her do it I’ve wanted to get that photograph.


But my camera has an annoying shutter lag, especially indoors. In 3 months of trying I’ve learned that I have to have the camera in my hand and turned on when I’m expecting that she might do her “stretchie”, as we call it.


I’ve learned to time it so that I’ve already pressed the button as Tannah is uncoiling so that by the time her hind legs reach full extension and her little toes are curled skyward, the shutter releases.


I finally captured that shot for the first time on Thursday. It’s a bit blurry, as it was an indoor non-flash shot, but I’m sure it won’t be the last time I photograph it. Summer is coming and I’m certain she’ll stretch out on the deck where the light is better, thus the shutter will release faster creating a clearer photo.


This is definitely one of the most satisfying photos I‘ve taken recently.


No comments:

Post a Comment