Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Model train show 2015

The weeks keep flying by at a seemingly ever-increasing pace. I don't know if its because I've been so busy at work or if it just an age thing. Whatever the case may be, I better get busy and document last weekend's main event (or is that "train event"?) before Christmas creeps up on me.

A model train show was held at the PNE Forum building. The event has been around for years, most recently being held in Burnaby, but I've never attended before. There were three main draws this year: one, it was being held in Vancouver; two, the Lego club was to attend, showcasing Lego trains; and three, both my nephews were of an age to enjoy it. Sunday was the day; the four of us went to the train show!

A wide range of working model train layouts were on display. In terms of nomenclature I'm only familiar with N scale, HO scale and Lionel trains. But there were bigger ones on display as well ranging up to the size that a person can straddle and actually ride. There's one in Stanley Park of that size and also a layout in North Burnaby. I only know of that one because its beside a dog park we've been to. So of course we had to ride the rails in the Forum building. The tracks encircled a 1937 Hayes transit bus which was pretty cool in its own right.

"Back to the Future" seems to have been a theme at the train show, due to this past October 21, 2015 being the day when Marty McFly traveled to the "future". I noted two DeLoreans in the show in two different layouts, both decked out with Flux Capacitors. I really should re-watch that series of movies. I don't recall there being a relationship between the DeLorean and a train.



I have to say, I was probably more drawn to the Lego display than the model trains, but I did truly enjoy the whole event. I can appreciate the level of commitment that goes into the model train hobby. I had a great uncle that was involved and years ago my great aunt gave me some of his train stuff after he passed away. My cousin is totally into the hobby as well, to the extent that he's the president of his regional club. I haven't seen his club's layout yet but it reportedly fills a single wide mobile home trailer!

We lost count of the number of coal cars being pulled by this locomotive; just like in real life!
Kienan was chief engineer for a few minutes to guide a train around a circuit.
Caleb wasn't expecting real smoke emitting from the locomotive's main stack.
I don't think either Caleb or Kienan were aware that model trains got this big.
This restored 1937 Hayes city bus gives some perspective to how big this train layout really is.
With prairie ties in the family I had to throw in this one!
But back to the Lego; how can you go wrong with trains and cityscapes, complete with Spiderman and Mount Rushnore!


By fluke I discovered that the Lego guy repelling the cliff in front of the eye was possibly inspired by this historical photograph depicting the initial creation of the monument.
What adventure is complete without a selfie?
"All aboard!"


No comments:

Post a Comment