Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Wolves and Caribou

A couple of weeks ago I was leafing through an issue of The (Vancouver) Metro in a restaurant while waiting for a sandwich I'd ordered when I came across this awesome photo of a wolf. I don't know how the photo was taken; I can't imagine a wolf allowing a  photographer to get that close. I flipped through the newspaper but either I somehow missed the article or the page it was printed on was missing from that particular paper.

Check out those eyes! From that angle he looks more like a domesticated dog than a wild wolf. I guess it's because the snout looks shorter than I would expect to see on a wolf.

Since I didn't read the related article I can only guess that National Geographic is spotlighting the current issue regarding the BC's intent (or proposal; I don't know what stage it's at) to conduct a wolf cull in parts of the province to protect other species that are at risk of becoming endangered.

It's one of those minefield issues; should humanity intervene or let nature take its course?

This swimming caribou herd is another great photo (from the Vancouver Sun) I came across recently that I really wanted to post. What magnificent antlers! But again, it's another dilemma; should humanity intervene in attempt to "save" them? Or in doing so would we only inadvertently cause havoc in a different area?

No comments:

Post a Comment