Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Analysis for a Sunny Day

It's interesting to me how much less daylight there is in Prince George at this time of year than there is in Vancouver. I was in PG on Monday and Tuesday for work and happened to be sitting in the library working on a report when the sun slipped below the horizon. It was 3:37 pm. This afternoon I was again seated at my computer, this time in Vancouver composing a blog when I noticed the sun had just set. A quick internet search satisfied my curiosity by providing the knowledge that sunset occurred at 4:20 pm today in Vancouver; a 43 minute difference.

I noticed the PG sunrise occur at about 8:10 on Tuesday morning as one of the first rays of sunshine touched my computer screen. (Wait a minute! What's wrong with this picture that I'm at my computer at sunrise and at sunset?) Again the all-knowing Internet informed me that the sun rose in Vancouver today at 7:39 a.m.; a 31 minute difference.

Just for fun, I compared my self-timed, real-life observations of the sun's appearances in Prince George with published data concerning the travel of Vancouver's sun, on (or about) Nov. 24. I discovered that Vancouver experienced about 1 hour and 14 minutes more sunshine in the morning than Prince George on that particular date. And just to squeeze out the last few drops of analysis, considering that the average driving distance between Prince George and Vancouver is 772 km (according to Google Maps), one would gain about 6 seconds of daylight for every kilometer driven while heading south.

It's no wonder there is such a thing as a "Snowbird".




No comments:

Post a Comment