Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Sunday, March 25, 2018

But the Forecast Said...

Every time I checked the forecast for the Tofino region the results indicated a daytime high of about 8 degrees C. I can't even express how shocked I was to encounter this much snow falling at around 1 pm on the return trip through the last (or first, depending on perspective) pass between Tofino and the highway to Port Alberni.


It was actually kind of funny. Early in our drive, as the snow fell we were listening to The Tragically Hip, just driving steadily and carefully. Then you can hear Shauna say "Oh no..." as we could see the snow intensify. Then laughter from Michele, who unbeknownst to me was taking short videos from the rear seat.





In this second video clip the music has stopped, as if to agree with the weather that yes, this is getting more serious; how long is this going to continue? I think I get the point; I shouldn't have swapped out the snow tires last weekend for the regular All Weather M&S (Mud and Snow) set. At least they weren't All Seasons.

Anyway, chalk one up for another stupid man decision. I haven't done anything this stupid since our cross-country car trek to Winnipeg a few years ago when I disagreed with my dear wife regarding topping up the gas tank before embarking on the next (short) leg across the prairie. I've since learned there is no such thing as a "short leg" across the prairie. We flirted dangerously close to disaster (meaning; resorted to hitch hiking) on the last digital bar of the gas gauge as we glided into a village dominated by grain elevators and a cluster of small houses. Not a store in sight; only a single locked gas pump outside a small building that looked to be associated with town business; i.e., grain distribution. With panic firmly lodged in my throat I actually decided to knock on a door to see what options were open to me. Thank God for prairie hospitality (in Vancouver I don't open my door too often to unannounced strangers after dark) for the gracious instructions that the gas pump down the road was not locked and thus out of service for the night. It would operate as normal upon activation by a credit card.

Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment