Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Monday, March 5, 2018

Retro Bikes

I unraveled a mystery yesterday; at the Vancouver Bicycle Show, of all places. It all began early last Autumn during a work-related road trip from Port Hardy to Nanaimo.

I was in traffic in Courtenay waiting for a traffic light when a car with a fantastically out-of-the-ordinary bicycle strapped onto its bumper carrier pulled up alongside me. Fortunately I had a camera on the seat beside me as I had just finished a building review. In Vancouver terms it was very fortunate indeed, as if I'd used my cell phone to snap a photo while waiting for the turn light I could easily have been citationed for about 167 bucks for using a handheld device in the car. Ironically, I actually wholeheartedly agree with the concept of fining hand-held cell phone use in a car; texting while driving, for instance is about as stupid a thing to do while driving as I can imagine, besides being intoxicated at the wheel, or course. All I was really interested in at that moment while waiting in traffic was grabbing a quick photo of that bike because I knew I'd likely never see it again.

Mystery Courtenay bike

Review of the photo later revealed that the emblem was missing so I assumed it was a total one-off custom. I love the styling. At the time it reminded me of a 1920s motorcycle, back when bicycles were transitioning into motorcycles. The stylist has even gone so far as to include a faux gas tank (which might conceal a battery pack). And the white tires evoke even more of a heritage feel. I have a 1948 CCM (kind of a back burner project) that I got custom-painted a few years ago, and I'd been wanting to find white tires. I didn't really end up looking too hard as I found original style black tires on Craigslist. One of these days I really have to finish that one...

But...back to the present. On Sunday I attended the bicycle show at the Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre, and lo and behold, what did I come across was a clone of the Courtenay bike; a whole stall of them in fact!

The Ruffian.

It was a pretty popular stall and I should have stuck around to chat, but I have to admit the prices are a bit steep for me, and I thought the sales reps would probably more appreciate talking up potential purchasers rather than a lurker like me. However, I did notice that the "Ruffian" is an import from Germany that doubles as an eBike. It has a small electric motor located in the frame between the pedals; I imagine the batteries are in the faux gas tank. It's absolutely super cool, again taking in the styling of a '20s motorcycle.

Lately I've really been drawn to eBikes; I think it's a great commuter concept, especially in Vancouver with so many hills. But as much as I admire the styling of these two examples I can't quite see myself on something quite this custom.

Strangely enough, at the very same show I saw a postcard advertisement for a replica of a 1919 Excelsior Boardtrack Racer, very much in the style of the two previously mentioned bicycles. Apparently a limited number of ten are being built for exclusive collectors. And I thought the "Ruffian" was expensive...this is a whole other league! I bet Jay Leno has an original. I should look that up.


Then there were the '70s retro-bikes. I had a banana seat cruiser when I was in about grade 2. I can't imagine riding one as an adult, but they seem to be a "thing" these days. Every once in a while I'll see one, but usually it'll be at a vintage/custom VW car show where some hipster has tossed one in his '60s Microbus for added nostalgia.

Crazy-custom banana-seat bikes from the '70s.

No comments:

Post a Comment